the Episcopal Diocese of Texas
Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
Episcopalians, friends and partner agencies around the globe are joining together to celebrate Episcopal Relief & Development's 75th Anniversary, inviting supporters to learn more about the organization's programs and get involved in campaigns to raise $7.5 million to sustain its vital work.
ECF Workshop on 'Funding Your Mission' in Austin, September 21
The Episcopal Church Foundation is hosting a workshop on September 21 at St. David's, Austin, from 12:30-2 p.m. focused on improving stewardship, major gifts, planned giving and other opportunities. It will be led by Jim Murphy and Leslie Pendleton from ECF. Lunch is free but registration is required. To register, please e-mail or call 800.697.2858.
Matthew Smith & Indelible Grace at Christ Church, Houston, in January
Mark your calendars for January 17, 2015, when Matthew Smith & Indelible Grace will perform at Christ Church Cathedral, Houston. Smith is a Nashville-based singer-songwriter who writes brand new music to centuries-old hymn texts. He is a founding member of the Indelible Grace community, whose work has drawn acclaim across denominational lines and is used in churches around the world. For more info, check out the event page.
Registration Open for ECW Annual Retreat, October 17-19
The 113th Annual Retreat for Women in the Episcopal Diocese of Texas will be held at Camp Allen October 17-19th. This favorite fall event has been expanded to Friday through Sunday, with options to be there for one, two or all three days. More information, including registration, is available here.
UBE Past, Present, Future At St. James', Houston, September 27
All are invited to a celebration of the Union on Black Episcopalians on Saturday, September 27 at St. James', Houston, featuring UBE National President, Annette Buchanan. The service begins at 11 a.m., followed by a panel discussion, "An Intergenerational Perspective on the Church's Mission For People of Color," at 1 p.m. Click here to learn more.
The Episcopal Church is providing $40,000 in support of the Diocese of Missouri for immediate domestic poverty, pastoral and community work in Ferguson, MO. The Domestic and Foreign Missionary Society is offering $30,000 with the remainder provided by Episcopal Relief & Development. Read more here.
Reminder Regarding The Denominational Health Plan Parity Resolution
Please review the important changes effective January 1, 2015. Click here for more information.
Open Enrollment Begins October 6
For those clergy and lay employees receiving benefits from the Episcopal Diocese of Texas, open enrollment will begin October 6. Click here for 2015 rate information and the Open Enrollment timeline and meeting schedule.
More Upcoming Events
September 21 - Invitation Sunday
September 23-24 - Blandy Lectures at SSW
October 4-5 - Diocesan Adult Choral Festival
October 5-6 - Little Church Club Meeting
Need a Job?
To see job opportunities, visit our employment page.
UPDATES & CHANGES
Drilling for Clean Water in Nicaragua [more]
The Therapy Dogs of Houston Hospice [more]
Spring Teen Puts Some Muscle into Mission [more]
VBS Energizes Hearne Church, Community [more]
St. Stephen's Welcomes Students For New School Year [more]
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
Diolog: ERD Celebrates 75 Years, House Of Bishops and more.
- "Christianity is not a theory or speculation, but a life; not a philosophy of life, but a life and a living process." Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- "Most people are willing to take the Sermon on the Mount as a flag to sail under, but few will use it as a rudder by which to steer." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "Perfection, in a Christian sense, means becoming mature enough to give ourselves to others." Kathleen Norris
- "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley
- "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G. K. Chesterton
- "One of our great allies at present is the Church itself. Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean the Church as we see her spread out through all time and space and rooted in eternity, terrible as an army with banners. That, I confess, is a spectacle which makes our boldest tempters uneasy. But fortunately it is quite invisible to these humans." C. S. Lewis
- "When we say, 'I love Jesus, but I hate the Church,' we end up losing not only the Church but Jesus too. The challenge is to forgive the Church. This challenge is especially great because the church seldom asks us for forgiveness." Henri Nouwen, Bread for the Journey
- "Christians are hard to tolerate; I don't know how Jesus does it." Bono
- "It's too easy to get caught in our little church subcultures, and the result is that the only younger people we might know are Christians who are already inside the church." Dan Kimball