Office of Public Affairs
Episcopal Church House of Bishops Spring 2014 retreat meeting:
Daily Account for Friday, March 21
The House of Bishops of the Episcopal Church is meeting in retreat at the Camp Allen Conference & Retreat Center in Navasota, TX (Diocese of Texas) from March 21 to March 26. The following is an account of the activities for Friday, March 21.
The theme for the fall meeting of the Episcopal Church House of Bishops is How Shall We Sing The Lord's Song in a Strange Land?
The day began with Morning Prayer, followed by a retreat time. A reflection was offered by Bishop Lloyd Allen, Diocese of Honduras http://honduras.fedigitales.org/ using Exodus 14 to frame his work as bishop for reimagining the church in his diocese.
The emcee for the day was Bishop Dean Wolfe, Diocese of Kansas www.episcopal-ks.org .The afternoon started with announcements and the opportunity for bishops to have conversations at their tables.
Visitors to HOB include Bishop Raul Tobias of Iglesia Filipina Independent; Bishop Jonathan Hart of Liberia; Bishop James Tentgatenga of Southern Malawi.
The Rev. Brian Taylor of Rio Grande and Joan Geiszler-Ludlum of East Carolina presented the work to date of the Task Force on the Study of Marriage. The bishops dedicated time to talking about the proposals from the Task Force, and provided input to the wider conversation of the church.
Bishop Andy Doyle of Texas, Bishop Mary Gray-Reeves of El Camino Real, Bishop Sean Rowe of Northwestern Pennsylvania/Bethlehem and Bishop Michael Curry of North Carolina presented the work to date of the Task Force for Reimagining The Episcopal Church (TREC). The bishops reviewed suggestions and presented their thoughts following discussion at their tables.
The day concluded with Eucharist. Presiding Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori presided and preached.
Following dinner the bishops would gather for a private discussion session.
Media Briefers for Friday, March 21:
Bishop Gladstone (Skip) Adams, Diocese of Central New York www.cnyepiscopal.org
Bishop James Waggoner, Diocese of Spokane www.spokanediocese.org
Follow on twitter: #hobspring14
For more info contact:
Neva Rae Fox
Public Affairs Officer
The Episcopal Church
212-716-6080 Mobile: 917-478-5659
On the web:
Episcopal Church House of Bishops Spring 2014 retreat meeting: Daily Account for Friday, March 21
Friday, March 21, 2014
HOB Daily Account for March 21
- "Christianity is not a theory or speculation, but a life; not a philosophy of life, but a life and a living process." Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- "Most people are willing to take the Sermon on the Mount as a flag to sail under, but few will use it as a rudder by which to steer." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "Perfection, in a Christian sense, means becoming mature enough to give ourselves to others." Kathleen Norris
- "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley
- "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G. K. Chesterton
- "One of our great allies at present is the Church itself. Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean the Church as we see her spread out through all time and space and rooted in eternity, terrible as an army with banners. That, I confess, is a spectacle which makes our boldest tempters uneasy. But fortunately it is quite invisible to these humans." C. S. Lewis
- "When we say, 'I love Jesus, but I hate the Church,' we end up losing not only the Church but Jesus too. The challenge is to forgive the Church. This challenge is especially great because the church seldom asks us for forgiveness." Henri Nouwen, Bread for the Journey
- "Christians are hard to tolerate; I don't know how Jesus does it." Bono
- "It's too easy to get caught in our little church subcultures, and the result is that the only younger people we might know are Christians who are already inside the church." Dan Kimball