Pre-Council Financials Released
Pre-Council Webinar AvailableClergy and Lay delegates to 2014 Council who are unable to attend one of the convocation Pre-Council Meetings, may participate in the final webinar, available on Wednesday, February 5 from 7-9 p.m. To sign up for the webinar, click here and follow the instructions on the screen. All participants are encouraged to review the Pre-Council Booklet. If you have technical questions, please contact Bob Schorr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Churches Asked to Process with Banners at Council
Bishop Doyle invites all churches to process their banners at the Opening Service for Diocesan Council on Friday, February 7, at the Galveston Island Convention Center (5600 Seawall Blvd.) They will remain in place until the close of the business meeting on Saturday, February 8.
Each church is invited to name a representative to carry the banner and provide the banner and a stand. The representative should arrive at the Convention Center beginning at 3 p.m. and no later than 4 p.m. and report to Kevin Robertson or Ken Fields. Upon arrival, the stands and banners will be placed around the perimeter of the room and procession instructions will be given. Please label the flag stand with the church's name and city.
This information should be submitted to Alice Kerr at the Diocesan Center by phone at 713.520.6444; 800.318.4452 or by e-mail to email@example.com. Questions may be addressed to her as well.
Houston Business Journal Profiles New Health Foundation
New CEO Elena Marks (left) and the Episcopal Health Foundation were profiled by the Houston Business Journal. Click here to read the article.
ERD Lenten Meditation Focus on Economic Empowerment
Forward Movement Presents "Lent is Not Rocket Science"The season of Lent prompts us to ask questions, big and small, about the nature of our being, and about our role in the world. Astronomer, physicist and Episcopal Bishop W. Nicholas Knisely explores the intersection of faith and science, creation and the cosmos in Lent is Not Rocket Science: An Exploration of God, Creation and the Cosmos, jointly published by Forward Movement and Morehouse. Click here to order.
SSJE Offers Free Lenten Video Series: "Love Life"For Lent 2014, the Brothers of The Society of Saint John the Evangelist (SSJE) have developed an easy-to-use video series and accompanying workbook "Love Life: Living the Gospel of Love." The daily series runs from Ash Wednesday, March 5th, to Palm Sunday. Subscribers will be emailed each morning with a mobile-friendly video and evocative question. The daily email subscription is free, as are all the supporting materials which are available to download for free. A printed version can be purchased at SSJE.org/lovelife.
Houston Clergy Invited to Episcopal-Lutheran Luncheon
Our Lutheran (ELCA) ecumenical partners have invited all Houston-area Episcopal clergy and heads of congregations to a luncheon on February 20, noon-1:30 p.m., at Salem Evangelical Lutheran Church, 4930 West Bellfort, in Houston. Bishops Doyle and Fisher and ELCA Bishop Michael Rinehart will each tell of their respective judicatories, talk about the future of the church, offer some visions for observance of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017, and more. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.723.3509.
News and Notes
ECF Offers New Web Conferences in February
Click here to view the schedule.Mileage Rate Changed for 2014 The Internal Revenue Service announced that the standard mileage reimbursement rate for use of a car would decrease slightly to 56 cents per business mile driven effective January 1, 2014. Accordingly, the Diocese of Texas will reimburse individuals for the use of their personal vehicles at a rate of 56 cents per mile in 2014.St. Phillip's in Frisco, TX, Hosts 'Changed' Conference, Featuring EDOT Speakers
Are you ready to move from doing 'church' to doing 'change'? Do you want to rediscover the joy of living out the Great Commission? Do you want to connect and learn from people who are building transformational communities of faith? At the Changed Conference from February 9-11, 2014, you will learn practical skills for building transformational communities that endure. Click here to learn more.Upcoming Events
February 1 - Youth Choral Festival
February 6 - Payne Lecture with the Rev. Jimmy Bartz, Austin
February 14 - Faith Formation 2020 with John Roberto
February 22 - SSW BBQ Showdown, Austin
People and Places
A memorial service for the Rev. Jody Tomberlin will be Wednesday, February 5 at 11 a.m. at Grace Episcopal Church, Galveston. Bishop Doyle will officiate. Tomberlin died on May 10, 2013 in North Carolina.
The Rev. Edward F. "Ed" Moore died January 25. He most recently served as Priest Associate at Good Shepherd, Tomball. Please keep his family in your prayers.
Visit epicenter.org/people-places for past updates.
Edited by Luke Blount - 713.353.2126 - email@example.com
Friday, January 31, 2014
Council Countdown, EHF Article, Sermon Notes and More
- "Christianity is not a theory or speculation, but a life; not a philosophy of life, but a life and a living process." Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- "Most people are willing to take the Sermon on the Mount as a flag to sail under, but few will use it as a rudder by which to steer." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "Perfection, in a Christian sense, means becoming mature enough to give ourselves to others." Kathleen Norris
- "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley
- "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G. K. Chesterton
- "One of our great allies at present is the Church itself. Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean the Church as we see her spread out through all time and space and rooted in eternity, terrible as an army with banners. That, I confess, is a spectacle which makes our boldest tempters uneasy. But fortunately it is quite invisible to these humans." C. S. Lewis
- "When we say, 'I love Jesus, but I hate the Church,' we end up losing not only the Church but Jesus too. The challenge is to forgive the Church. This challenge is especially great because the church seldom asks us for forgiveness." Henri Nouwen, Bread for the Journey
- "Christians are hard to tolerate; I don't know how Jesus does it." Bono
- "It's too easy to get caught in our little church subcultures, and the result is that the only younger people we might know are Christians who are already inside the church." Dan Kimball