Thank you for sharing your vision and your dreams of who we can be together. Thank you for the election as the next bishop of Texas. I am humbled by the work of the council and by the invitation to be a part of your lives, your families, your churches.
I am grateful to JoAnne…for her love and faithfulness to this diocese and our call to ministry. I am grateful for Caisa and Zoe, two wonderful girls, and their support and our life together.
I am grateful to Bishops Wimberly, High and Harrison for their support, guidance, and mentoring…and for their love. Each has cared for all of us, and in particular they have cared for JoAnne, and the kids, and for me.
Each nominee has given us a portion of our vision for the future reminding us of the role of bishop in pastoral care, congregational development, church growth, relationships, the future, and diversity. Thank you for your witness to us and your call to us.
I am reminded of Bishop Quin’s words to his first council, "To do my work well, it is necessary that you catch a vision which has come to me, of a Diocesan spirit -- a Diocesan family -- all one in Christ -- one in aim, ambition, endeavor -- one in rejoicing for the other's good. We can go ahead, we will go ahead, you and I together."
Thank you, and blessings to you all.
Muchísimas gracias. Gracias por compartir su visión y sus sueños a lo que podremos ser juntos. Gracias por la elección como el siguiente obispo de Tejas. Estoy muy humillado. Estoy humillado por su invitación para ser una parte de sus vidas, sus familias, y sus communidades de fe.
Cada uno de los candidatos ha sido esencial en tener una visión común para el futuro. Ustedes nos han recordado que el ministerio del obispo es pastoral, requiere relaciones con cada persona en la comunidad, y que necesitamos tener una visión del futuro con diversidad. Gracias.
Soy recordado de las palabras de Obispo Quin, “Para hacer mi trabajo bien, es necesario que ustedes perciban una visión que llegue a mí, de un espíritu del Diocesano - una familia del Diocesano - todos uno en Cristo - uno en la meta, la ambición, el empeño - uno en alegría para el bien del otro. Podemos seguir adelante, seguiremos adelante, ustedes y yo juntos”.
Gracias, y Dios los Bendiga.
- "Christianity is not a theory or speculation, but a life; not a philosophy of life, but a life and a living process." Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- "Most people are willing to take the Sermon on the Mount as a flag to sail under, but few will use it as a rudder by which to steer." Oliver Wendell Holmes
- "Perfection, in a Christian sense, means becoming mature enough to give ourselves to others." Kathleen Norris
- "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can." John Wesley
- "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried." G. K. Chesterton
- "One of our great allies at present is the Church itself. Do not misunderstand me. I do not mean the Church as we see her spread out through all time and space and rooted in eternity, terrible as an army with banners. That, I confess, is a spectacle which makes our boldest tempters uneasy. But fortunately it is quite invisible to these humans." C. S. Lewis
- "When we say, 'I love Jesus, but I hate the Church,' we end up losing not only the Church but Jesus too. The challenge is to forgive the Church. This challenge is especially great because the church seldom asks us for forgiveness." Henri Nouwen, Bread for the Journey
- "Christians are hard to tolerate; I don't know how Jesus does it." Bono
- "It's too easy to get caught in our little church subcultures, and the result is that the only younger people we might know are Christians who are already inside the church." Dan Kimball